viernes, 27 de septiembre de 2013

Hello mates and welcome to my blog!

Do you remember the other day in class when Raquel told us about Storytelling? I have to say that I enjoyed a lot (I guess that you all too). It was very funny and it made us to involve in. 

First of all I am going to explain what Storytelling is…


/Storytelling is a strategy to capture people.
The main objective of this is to thrill them./




It always follows four basic steps:
  


Approach  -->  Development  -->  Outcome   -->   Moral



------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knowing the meaning of Storytelling, I would like to show you my favourites children’s books. I am sure that the first one will rings you a bell, this is because Raquel showed it in class.


“The very hungry caterpillar”



It is a very special book for me, because it was a present from my tutor of the school where I did my second training period. I love it and I have used it a lot with my youngest students (I am teacher of private lessons). The methodology I use with this book is very simple and similar to how Raquel taught us:



  • First I read it while they listen and see the pictures
  • - Then I let the student read by himself/herself, and I try to help him/her with the pronunciation
  • After read it, I make him/her some questions about the book to check if he/she has understood everything
  • - Finally, I ask him/her If he/she has liked it and has enjoyed with the book, and what he/she has learnt with the story.


In my opinion, literature is one of the best ways to learn English, because children (and adults) not only learn new vocabulary and practice reading, but also learn pronunciation and practice speaking. Storytelling makes children love reading because they have fun and they often get into the role.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------


The following book is more difficult to read than “The very hungry caterpillar”. It can be used with children of second cycle of primary education. It is called “Captain Gamma, mission to Mars”, written by Alec Sillifant







I have to say that I really like this book because I see that children enjoy reading it, and they laugh, besides, the illustrations are fantastic!

---------------------------------------------

Finally, these two books written by Miles Kelly can be used for the third cycle of primary education, because they are more complex and they contain a lot of text.


 "The King of the Polar Bears and other magical stories" and 
"The Three Wishes and other magical stories"


They have many short stories inside, and although it seems that there is so much text, they are fun and easy to read. 







Here it is finished my first post, I hope you like it and this be useful for you, mates. Thank you for reading me! ;)



A simple book can be a great resource. 



3 comentarios:

  1. Lucia,
    Thank you so much for sharing all these materials with us. It is funny to look backwards and remember the books that we used to read during childhood, and now we are using as teachers.
    One of my favorite sagas, when I was younger, was “THE CAN IN THE HAT” by D. Seuss. I have to admit that I only understood a few words because they are written in rhymes, but the drawings scaffold the text very well. I used to read them at home with no teacher who helped me understand what was in the book, so I didn’t take the most of them. Nowadays, that I have a better level of English, I enjoy them even more. Sometimes it doesn’t depend on the difficulty of the book but how the teacher represents and reads it. It is essentially to create a motivation in children and make them feel close to the characters. As future teacher, we have to know and read many children books so we can work with them the different topics: numbers, colors, objects, parts of the body and so on. We have to take the most from all the books and encourage them to read them at home!!!!

    I’m looking forward to your next post! Congrats on the presentation of the blog. It looks great!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I'm in love with "The very hungry caterpillar" I think it's a very useful resource. I used it during my practice teaching, the pupils learnt the different kind of food, I used it to review healthy and not healthy food! They want to listen the story again the following days so I'm sure they've a really fun time!


    Congrats for your blog! It's very nice but I don't expect anything else from your blog hahaha ;)

    ResponderEliminar